According to his official website, Dr. Knecht already has choral compositions that are a “staple of the modern choral festival literature having been performed on All State and ACDA concerts in over 15 states.” His work, “Manly Men,” has been a hit with men’s choirs (TTBB) and audiences for years.
Dr. Knecht received his Doctor of Music Arts degree in Musical Composition from UNL and was awarded the prestigious Folsom Distinguished Dissertation Award for his composition, “Missa Prolationem,” a beautiful piece incorporating historical compositional techniques with modern ones. This piece was for soloists, choir, string quartet, and organ.
On last night’s recital, the program was:
- Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C Major BWV 564 by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
- Sursum Sonata by Kurt Knecht (b. 1971)
- 1. Surging Fluctuations
- 2. Suspended Mirrors
- 3. Spinning towards Euphoria
- Sonate No. 7 in f minor Op. 127 by Joseph Rheinberger (1839-1901)
- 1. Preludio – Allegro non troppo
- 2. Andante
- 3. Finale – Grave – Vivo
- Toccata Op. 104 by Joseph Jongen (1873-1953)
Lincoln should keep an eye out for further works and performances of Dr. Kurt Knecht!